Winter 2021 – Week 3 Summary

This week I…did more spinning! I also finished an essay of sorts that I started last quarter about what, exactly, is a chiton. I keep mentioning it and that I’m making one, but I haven’t actually explained what it is. Better late than never, though, right? There was a lot of information to go through, though. Turns out, if you’re an archaeologist/scholar studying the clothing of an ancient people, it’s very very difficult to definitively say anything about the subject as all of their clothing decomposed centuries ago. All we have to go on is visual and literary evidence, and the problem with visual evidence is that we don’t know how closely sculpture and vase paintings resembled contemporary life. That isn’t to say we cant say anything definitively, just that it is complicated subject. Even the meaning of words become confusing. In one of my books, the author stated that the word amorgos probably meant silk. Another author says that a similar word, amorginon, means very fine linen. And, in another book it states it could mean both. I realized that if I pursued researching the words for fabrics I would quickly go down a rabbit hole and lose several hours, if not days, trying to make sense of it all.

Also, I have a rant. The British Museum states that the figure on the right is wearing a chiton. That, my friend, is not a chiton. A chiton does not have an overfold, the apoptygma. That is a feature of a peplos. Not all peploi have an overfold, but if a garment has an overfold, it’s a peplos. Do you know how many images the British Museum states have chitones portrayed in them and they’re actually peploi? Let me tell you: a lot.

I also got my Teeswater wool! I bought 28 ounces of roving and I am slightly overwhelmed with the amount I have to spin in the next few weeks, I must admit. I guess it’s a good thing I enjoy spinning. It was also nice timing that I was able to wind up my plied yarn onto the niddy noddy the night before my wool was delivered. Two skeins finished! They total almost 1,000 yards. Now just 3,200 to go. I…should probably go spin now.

This is a niddy noddy. By winding my yarn on it, I can create a skein and also estimate fairly well how much yardage I have by counting how many times I wrapped my yarn around it.